Tuesday 8 December 2015

A remarkable sense of entitlement...

Within the last few days I received a message from a former councillor who lost his seat years ago, after what many may consider a lackluster campaign. Within weeks of losing he resigned from the Party and joined UKIP, standing (and failing) to be elected as a UKIP councillor. In the intervening time this former councillor has not lifted a finger to help his former colleagues or supported our candidate in the General Election or made any effort to re-establish contact with the association in any way. 

Then, out of the blue, he sent me a text to inform me he would like his "old seat back". Apparently after speaking widely to local residents there "is a mood for my return..."  No doubt these were the same local residents who booted him out 4 years ago.

Obviously this will be a decision for this Association's Local Government Committee not me, and if they decide to re-approve and select him then I will do my duty and work for the election of the Conservative candidate (as we all do, regardless of personal opinions on the individuals concerned). But I do find this sense of entitlement somewhat absurd. At times like this I think of the thousands of local members who give freely of their time and money, week-in, week-out, year after year, without expecting or seeking anything in return. They are the true stars of the Conservative party. 

And looking at the reaction to my Facebook post, I think many activists would agree!


  



No comments:

Post a Comment